Friday, July 5, 2013

Not guilty!

Last week, or so, I got an email from a guy's mother telling me her son, who had been tried for domestic assault, was found not guilty by a jury. I knew that already and the case was on my list of things to do that day, as the jury had deliberated past deadline the day before. Later, the defendant himself came up to the office to let me know the jury's verdict. The mother's email was a little scratchy, but my conversation with the gentleman was fine, if brief.

I wish more people would contact me when their cases settle. Many times cases slip beneath my radar and their conclusions never get reported. One of the main reasons for this is how the court is organized and, to be honest, how I'm disorganized.

Monday in Bennington Superior Court Criminal Division is “arraignment day.” That's when arraignment hearings are held for all the cases where there's no imminent danger of the defendant fleeing or getting into more trouble. All the arraignments are on a list and it's a simple matter of asking the clerks for certain case files. The court also has an “extras” list. These are folks who, for whatever reason, need to be arraigned right away. Extras can come on any day, usually around 1 p.m.

There is no list of resolved cases. Sure, some are scheduled for changes of plea or sentencing, but they're not always listed as such and they come sporadically, making it easy for them to slip past the media.

I've been working on a way to track the cases I write about and perhaps it's time I doubled down on my efforts, but it would be nice if defendants, or their attorneys, let me know, politely, when their cases resolve. A few months ago I began putting the word out to defense attorneys I have a rapport with to feel free to let me know when one of their cases settles. Obviously I don't expect to hear from either defendant or attorney when there's a conviction.

We often hear that the first article “gets splashed on the front page” while the follow-up gets buried in the back, but it's been my experience that most court news ends up on page two, even the initial article. Maybe by “front page” they mean highest in our website's “most viewed” section, which is dictated entirely by readers.

4 comments:

  1. Yes wouldn't be wonderful if the attorneys and defendants did your job for you? Any charges that you cover should be covered from start to end. You do typically splash the charges and convictions across the paper but don't pay as much attention to the not guilty verdicts. That needs to change

    ReplyDelete
  2. We follow up on information people bring to us all the time, "Anonymous." Why not use your real name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't commit a crime, you don't have to worry about your name being in the paper. How about try and be a law abiding citizen and work for a living rather than complain about the way other people do their job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's naive, Tara. Innocent people are sometimes accused of crimes they did not commit, and may have their name unfairly in the paper. Which is WHY it's important for the court reporter to follow up on any cases they report on. Doesn't help in the cases where people are wrongly convicted as well, but at least if the person is acquitted, it would be appropriate for the paper that reported the charges to report the acquittal as well.

    ReplyDelete